Friday, March 28, 2014

Flying Solo: Density Lab

My master teacher is out today and I'm flying solo.  It will be the first time I get to run an entire period on the Block Schedule.  I invited an Assistant Principal and the Principal of my school to swing by and observe the class.  I'm very excited about this.  Every day of student teaching is a job interview.

We have quite a bit to do today.  I'll hand back some homework while the students do a few warm-up exercises.  After that I'll need to model the lab and prepare the students for some of the math on the analysis section of the lab.  Then I'll turn them loose on the lab activity.

The students will be measuring density of sample cubes.  The cubes are metallic, plastic, and wooden.  Using electronic scales, the students will measure the mass of the cube and find the volume.  They can then then calculate the densities.

After the students find the density of the objects, the students will predict whether the blocks will sink or float then stick them in a tub of water to test it out.  I expect that this will be pretty fun; open tubs of water surrounded by hyped 8th graders is an invitation for a little mischief.  I have plenty of paper towels handy and plan to closely monitor the surrounding area.  I'm learning a great deal about how to channel junior high energy.

We have a substitute teacher; he should have a pretty easy day.  ...I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment